My Blog List

Friday 16 March 2012

A little rant about work (or lack of)!

I've been out of action for a little while because I've been moving house/city and focusing on looking for work for a while, and my blood is actually boiling a little bit so excuse this rant, it's not really makeup related but I'm just frustrated!

Can anyone please tell me what the deal is with applying for jobs in the UK?! Why is it so difficult? Yes, I know there's a recession but there are still jobs out there. Yes, I know that the job market is completely saturated and the amount of people applying for jobs is massive in comparison to what it was 4-5 years ago, but does that give companies the right to just turn around and say that a person is not suitable for a role without ever meeting them? I personally have a lot of relevant experience for the jobs I'm applying for, otherwise I wouldn't bother applying for them. I know my skills, I know my strengths, and I know I'm more than capable of doing the job - I don't think I'm the best in the world but I'm certainly a very good candidate.

So why do companies think it's ok for you to waste 30 minutes or more of your time (several times a day in my case) filling out an application form on their website, watching stupid, patronising videos, answering, quite frankly, ridiculous questions that are completely unreasonable. How the hell are you supposed to know if the answer is right or wrong, you're pretty much talking to a computer! I've been for several interviews in the 6 months since I arrived here but I've lost count of the amount of application forms I've filled out, cover letters I've written and CVs I've sent, and they've all got me nowhere (it's what I spend most of my time doing). My 8 years experience in retail and my makeup qualification stand for absolutely nothing.

I came here with high hopes but I've had to lower my standards, and that hasn't helped in the slightest because I can't get past the online stage of applying for jobs that I'm probably over-qualified for. I know these companies will have so many people applying for jobs that they can't possibly interview them all, but when I know I'm not a time-waster and have the relevant experience, why am I not even given the chance to say my piece? Why do we have to accept this? There's too much snobbery going on in the retail sector, I reckon. They think they can treat people like this because they're desperate for jobs. So many people like myself are unemployed through no fault of their own, have good work ethics and have just been unlucky, and it's already degrading for a person with this attitude to be out of work, never mind not even given the time of day by these companies.

In Ireland, there is no work, and that's just it. But if there was, you wouldn't be treated like this. Never have I ever had to go through so much bull to get a job in Ireland. And as for the interviews, they need to sort them out because they're just unfair. I'm constantly asked to give examples of this, that and the other, and to be fair, I usually make something up because the kind of example they're looking for is the kind of thing I did in my previous jobs on a regular if not daily basis. I don't make up something outrageous, I just give an example of something I possibly have done before but I can't remember specifics because I've done it so many times. But how the hell is an 18-year old with no work history going to be able to answer this question?! They won't have examples, so will most likely fail the interview (if they're lucky enough to get that far). So what chance has anyone got?

Why do you want to work for bla bla bla? I don't really care, I just want to work! I don't care what the company is! Get over yourselves if you think people are going to be that particular about what jobs they apply for, most people just need a job to pay the bills and put food on the table.

I know the companies have to try and get the best person for the job but it's as if they don't want anyone to pass the interview. Why advertise the job then? I think they're being totally unreasonable. Patronising and unfair. The way it should be done (I think) is this :

-fill out an application form or send/hand in a CV

-the application form/CV is then reviewed by a HR or store manager to see if the person is suitable for the advertised job

-all suitable candidates are called for an interview, which is comprised of questions about the candidate, a little about the company, the role, what the candidate can bring to the role (experience and personal skills, which have to be relevant or else they wouldn't get the interview) and that sort of thing, and conducted by the HR or store manager

-then the most suitable candidate(s) is offered the job

Nobody wasted  huge amount of time, except maybe the HR manager, but this is their job. Candidates weren't messed about, suitable ones were given a fair chance, the manager is happy with their selection, everyone wins!

That's really all I have to say on the matter, if anyone wants to add anything or put me straight about anything, feel free to do so in the comments section.

Thanks for reading, I feel better now, ha ha!

Suzie

xx




No comments:

Post a Comment